Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 31 Aug 15 at 16:46 PM

Report: Tranmere 2-2 Harriers

A fantastic injury-time leveller from Reece Styche capped a superb second half comeback from Harriers as they came from two down to draw 2-2 at Tranmere Rovers on Monday.

Harriers began the game with a real exuberance; youngsters Wright and Campbell causing problems in wide areas and the duo of Dawson and Styche leading the line; on eight minutes, Dawson's tricky played in Campbell who took the first real shot of the game that Scott Davies held well.

The visitors did a fine job early on of silencing a healthy come crowd by winning plenty of balls and pushing forward but, in the absence of any real chances to speak of, they were made to pay when, with their first real spell of the game, Rovers found a goal.

After their first chance of the game saw Andy Mangan force Alex Palmer into a low save, there were 20 minutes on the clock when Liam Hogan turned in a close-range finish from a cross along the face of goal , Palmer with little chance as he'd been left exposed.

Barely five minutes later it was two; Mangan side-stepping a challenge as he collected a long ball up field, before turning inside and bending a finish beyond Plamer's dive and in to the back of the net.

Harriers did their best to wrestle some semblance of control back for the afternoon and they had their sights of goal, particularly from Campbell who again took aim before the half's close, but the visitors took the break behind and downbeat.

After the restart Tranmere almost put the game to bed within a couple of minutes as sub Marlon Jackson missed the target with an angled drive by no more than a few inches, Styche up at the other end ensuring Davies was alert with a shot of his own. 

With the hosts two to the good, Harriers undoubtedly enjoyed more time on the ball in the second period and although there were forward movements aplenty, Davies in goal really had little contend with by way of serious trouble.

With a quarter hour to go, Palmer made a strong save to keep out a third as Mangan's driven free-kick arrowed its way towards the bottom corner; the custodian reaching to stop it and also push it off the toes of the follow-up.

Harriers did get a goal back with six minutes left spare; a fine solo effort from sub Singh saw him rob the ball near the corner flag, hold it up at the by line before racing into the area and finishing from a crazy angle, in off the post.

Incredibly there was more late drama - two minutes into three of injury time, the visitors snatched what had looked for much of the day to be an unlikely equaliser as a wonderful Dawson delivery was nodded back across goal by Fox where it was chested down and finish superbly into the net by Styche. 

    Latest Match Reports