Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Sep 15 at 16:45 PM

Report: Barrow 1-1 Harriers

Harriers wretched winless run continued on Saturday as the team drew 1-1 at Barrow - a point only secured thanks to two penalty saves from goalkeeper Alex Palmer.

The key was always going to be to repeat the trick of a lightning-quick start as seen against Bromley.

Harriers certainly managed that and definitely began on the front foot, grabbing the lead inside six minutes when Reece Styche latched on to a ball forward with a fine first touch to enter the area before firing it beyond Joel Dixon and in to the bottom corner of the net.

Only some smart reaction's from Dixon at the same post prevented Harriers quickly adding a second with a deflected effort from Clarke that he gathered well, the hosts registering their first chance of the day up at the other end with 11 gone when a Howarth free-kick sailed over the bar.

Looking to create further problems from a free-kick past the midway point of the half, Harriers eventually saw Luke Maxwell on the ball as the youngster took aim with a driven shot that Dixon did well to get behind and hold.

Jordan Jones then saw a shot blocked near the line as Harriers continued to create, though Barrow should really have been level after the half-hour as Paddy Lacey planted over a header from which he really should have done better.

Harriers took to the break with confidence but that was dealt a blow just six minutes after the interval when the home side levelled; a deep, long ball picked up at the far post by Andy Cook who turned and lashed it past Palmer into the top corner.

The hour came and went and the home side stayed in the ascendency with Cook and, latterly from a free-kick, Ashton both going close to adding a second. On 63 minutes the visitors teetered closer to going behind when, after Langmead fouled Cook in the area, Barrow were awarded a penalty. The striker himself stepped up, but a fine double-stop from Palmer kept the scores level - one stop to keep out the initial effort and an even better save to block away the follow-up.

Having weathered that storm, Harriers knew they needed to fashion some chances of their own to stay in the game; Maxwell going close with a quarter of an hour to play as he took a Styche pass and struck a shot wide of the post.

Cook remained a menace for Barrow, though, and with nine left he almost nabbed that second goal, despite looking comfortably offside; he shot at goal and only a combination of a Tunnicliffe box and a Palmer save kept him out.

The pressure just kept telling, and seven minutes before the end of the clash, the hosts were awarded a second penalty as Tunnicliffe was adjudged to have fouled Wilson in the area; this time, Ashley Grimes stepped up from 18 yards but he wasn't able to find a way past Palmer, either, as the youngster parried away to his right.

    Latest Match Reports