Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Oct 15 at 16:45 PM

Report: Harriers 0-1 Welling

It was another nightmare day at the office for Harriers as they slumped to yet another frustrating home defeat, this time going down 1-0 to Welling with ten men. 

Harriers approached the game in the same style they had the last previous two, with a considered attempt to move the ball carefully from the back - in the very early throws it was clear that Welling would prove difficult to break down.

Aman Verma's lofted cross towards the near post looked a tasty target for Reece Styche inside the opening ten minute, but the hit-man was thwarted by an offside flag as he looked to stretch and meet it.

With 18 gone the visitors, looking to prowl on evidently-low confident levels within the home ranks, almost stole ahead from a corner, though brave goalkeeping from Alex Palmer kept out a shot from Sahr Kabba at the far post after the ball was nodded back across the face of goal.

Before the half hour, patient but determined build-up from Harriers saw Kevin Toner and Verma surging forward before the latter played in Jordan Jones; the youngster struck a dangerous, angled cross along the face of goal that looked to be causing enough problems of its own before it fizzed wide of the far post.

The visitors remained a threat from set pieces, particularly corners, but Harriers really did grow in to the half towards its end, a Campbell shot giving King some work to do as he got a good pair of hands to keep out the driven effort.

There was optimism and encouragement at the break but that had all but disappeared within eight minutes of the restart - first they went behind as George Porter rifled a free-kick through a hole in the wall and under the body of Alex Palmer and, latterly, just as the hosts looked to settle themselves, they were reduced to ten men.

Porter was again the man involved for Welling as he raced on to a very loose pass to get a clear run on goal - he and Tunnicliffe tussled over it and when the Wings man went down under a challenge, the only likely outcome seemed clear as the defender was given his marching orders.

Harriers remained at the task and the support from around Aggborough was as encouraging once more but chances remained at an absolute premium for the hosts, a tame Luke Maxwell shot on the angle comfortable enough for the goalkeeper with an hour or so gone.

The final third of the game was largely forgettable; though Harriers chased and ran themselves in to the ground, the Welling wall was not to be breached as the result was confirmed, Langmead's injury time header the final hope as it looped wide of the target.

    Latest Match Reports