Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Oct 15 at 16:45 PM

Harriers 0-1 Southport - The Report

Harriers dominated the largest share of Saturday's game against Southport but still suffered yet another, wretched home defeat as Andy Bishop's second half goal clinched a 1-0 win for the visitors.

It was, to say the least, a very stop-start affair in the early stages of the game and, with neither side pulling up too many trees in the division this season, it was perhaps no major surprise that the spectacle lacked a little bit of flow.

Although Harriers and hassled in the opening quarter of an hour, it was the visitors who had the better initial opening chances, particularly through forward Cole Stockton, who looped one header up and in to the palms of Dean Snedker and, further on, curling one effort inches wide of the goalkeeper's far post.

Southport continued to gather momentum and, past the midway point of the half, only a fine save from Snedker denied Gary Jones near the edge of the area - his driven shot parried well by the custodian.

Harriers then followed that with a first real chance of their own, some 27 minutes on the clock when the lively Whitfield moved free in the area and found himself an inch of space, bending a shot on the angle around goalkeeper Max Crocombe, the ball clattering off the foot of the post.

The youngster,  somehow, went even closer around ten minutes later - Harriers attacked neatly and quickly, and skipper Hodgkiss drove a dangerous and tempting cross along the face of the Southport area - Whitfield came charging on to it and, with a deft touch, knocked it past the goalkeeper, the ball this time clipping off the bar.

Two minutes after the restart, Harriers gave Crocombe a real test and when he failed to gather a free-kick delivery in to the box, the ball fell to Callum Hassan - who'd been fouled for the initial kick - only for his shot to be cleared off the line.

Soon after, Calvin Dinlsey was next to try his luck after Harriers continued to probe at the visiting defence - his 55th minute shot was a comfortable enough hold for Crocombe, as was sub Reece Styche's well-taken, rising shot on 67 as it headed towards the top corner.

From there, Southport wrestled back at least a portion of control in the game as one or two nerves edged in to the home players and supporters as passes went astray. Southport tried to pounce and Andy Bishop had a rare sight of goal with ten minutes to go but his driven shot was well held.

Those nerves kept creeping in, though, and with nine minutes to go the visitors took what looked like the most unlikely of leads - one of few ventures forward resulting in a routine cross that inexplicably found the free head of Bishop who placed it in to the bottom corner.

    Latest Match Reports