Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 31 Oct 15 at 16:45 PM

Harriers 1-0 Woking - The Report

Jordan Murphy's dramatic late header saw Harriers record their first win in 22 league games and first clean sheet in 28 in a deserved 1-0 victover over Woking at Aggborough

This was a contest of two sides looking to put behind them a forgetful afternoon in the FA Cup last time out - there was little in the opening, cagey stages but the Cards perhaps edged what there was as Joey Jones nodded over the bar from a corner; Josh Goddard then aiming one just off target from distance, all inside the opening dozen minutes.

Harriers were a little slower to stir, but they did so soon after with a big chance of their own, a Lathaniel Rowe-Turner cross finding the far post and Matthew Barnes-Homer who, on the volley, drove a chance over the bar.

Three before the half hour, Harriers were thankful to Dean Snedker's concentration as he kept safe pair of hands on the ball to deny Goddard as he struck a rising effort, Dan Holman then nodding one wide of the upright with nine left until the break.

Harriers made two changes at the break and started the second period with a real tempo - that start brought about the best chance of the day to that point by far, just two minutes gone when Barnes-Homer crossed in the area to Jordan Murphy who missed his kick from six yards with just Hamman to beat.

The hosts kept up the momentum, though, and when Barnes-Homer showed great strength and presence of mind to slip in Whitfield on the angle, the youngster was well placed to net his second for the club, only for Hamman to spread himself and excellently keep out the ball. 

Six after the hour, the visitors registered their first real chance of the half when Dan Holman lined up a drive from distance, a chance almost out of nothing; Snedker's concentration again winning out as he tipped the ball around the post.

With 16 left to go there was a double chance for Holman - the first them the most clear-cut as he picked up on Cunnington's header inside the area to turn and fire wide, before then seeing a near-post header held by Snedker.

Harriers kept in the chances, though, and, inside the energetic Whitfield again went close as he turned superbly outside of the area and aimed a shot at Hamman who got a strong pair of gloves behind to once again thwart the youngster.

The reds continued to play their football and, dramatically, it got them a serious reward with just three minutes of the game to go when some fine build up finally enabled them to break the deadlock; Matt Young's fantastic cross met by an equally fine header by Ben Murphy who found the back of the net to cue mass pandemonium and celebration.

The season's off and running. 

    Latest Match Reports