Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 10 Nov 15 at 21:30 PM

Chester 3-1 Harriers - The Match Report

Harriers were beaten on the road at Chester on Tuesday  night, suffering a 3-1 defeat despite taking the lead through a Kelvin Langmead goal.

There was action aplenty inside the opening stages - more so at the home end as the hosts settled quickly and really got a grasp on the game. 

Ross Hannah was amongst the thick of it for them and he'll have kicked himself for not adding to his season's tally within 14 minutes - first Snedker denied him with a save from his distance effort but, soon after, a goal was on a plate after Jonny Hunt's shot was parried directly in to the striker's path, only for the former Grimsby Town man to miss the target from six yards.

In between, there was half a sniff for Harriers as Jordan Murphy fired in to the side netting after latching on to a Ben Whitfield pass, the Walsall striker then going close past the half-hour mark as he met a corner with a near-post flick that Jon Worsnop in the Chester goal did well to hold on to.

After they'd grown a little more in to the game, Harriers went on to take the lead with seven minutes to go until the interval. Whitfield's deadly, deep ball to the far post was cut back across goal by Barnes-Homer and in to the path of Langmead who slotted home his first of the season, and first for Harriers since 2004.

The lead didn't last long - Harriers were effectively down to ten men as play was allowed to continue despite Howkins being down with a head injury - the ball being drilled in to the box and swept home coolly by Hannah, much to the ire of the reds' management.

If boss Dave Hockaday was hopping mad at that stage, he'd have been even more furious just 30 seconds after the re-start as his side conceded a sloppy second; Hannah snatching the ball on the edge of the area before supplying Rooney who did the business from ten yards.

That knocked plenty of stuffing out of Harriers, who tried their best to summon another response, Hockaday doing his bit from the sidelines as he introduced Gurjit Singh into the fray - but it was the hosts who almost added a third with a quarter hour left to go, only for Chappell to fire the ball over the bar.

Harriers did have their ventures forward in the second half but in truth they were few and far between, and the contest was finally put to bed on 83 minutes when Hannah got his second of the night, a close-range follow-up after Snedker had denied Rooney.

    Latest Match Reports