Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 28 Nov 15 at 16:45 PM

Grimsby Town 1-0 Harriers - The Report

Harriers put in a huge shift at title favourites Grimsby Town on Saturday but were ultimately defeated 1-0 as they head back to the bottom of the table.

The opening moments  of the game were largely dictated by the conditions and it was arguably Harriers who began to settle the quickest - they did their defending well and looked to pen the Mariners inside their own half.

With the positions and form of both sides in mind you could have been forgiven for assuming that chances would be at a premium - that certainly was the case in the opening 45 minutes; Harriers able to fashion just the one of note, a good move seeing winger James McQuilkin deliver in to the box where the onrushing Ben Whitfield  met it with a header, James McKeown on hand with the save.

To Harriers credit, Paul Hurst's men worked hard for their openings and although they did have a half chance through Disley -he could only poke a shot straight at Snedker after seeing the ball arrive at his feet unexpectedly - they, too, only had one major chance of note in the half and Dean Snedker was equal to that one between the sticks as he did well to throw himself at an Arnold header and push it around the post.

Harriers held their own into and beyond the break and even had the first chance of the second period as a Fazlic drive fizzed wide of the upright after a series of set-plays in the Grimsby have saw the visitors build some pressure.

But from that moment on, Grimsby really wrestled themselves in to control of the game for the first time - a dangerous spell of pressure eventually telling just after the hour with the opening goal - a galling breach of a brave resistance as Townsend's cross was expertly nodded home at the near post by the lively Among.

As Harriers made changes from the beak and tried to push forward, Grimsby ought to have made it two within a few minutes - sub Bogle seeing one shot smothered when he should have passed, and one effort blazing over the bar.

And yet against all of that as a back drop, Harriers went close to an equaliser with a little over a quarter hour left to play; sub Gurj Singh driving forward and stinging the palms of McKeown, before Whitfield ran down on goal and aimed at the bottom corner before seeing the shot cannon off the woodwork. 

    Latest Match Reports