Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 28 Dec 15 at 16:45 PM

10-man Harriers beaten at Rovers

Harriers ended 2015 with an entire annual haul of just five wins after they slumped to another defeat, going down 3-0 at Forest Green Rovers.

If Harriers ended the game against Cheltenham with a whimper, they'll have looked to get off to a flyer against Forest Green but, unfortunately, there was no such fortune on the day.

Though there were precious few chances in the opening stages, the fact that the opening quarter of an hour saw the game played almost exclusively in the Harriers half just enabled the promotion-chasing hosts to build confidence and a head of steam.

The results of that were abundantly clear on 15 minutes when Forest Green Rovers took the lead; Matt Young was adjudged to have fouled Elliott Frear in the area and veteran marksman stepped up to do the duty and finish from 12 yards.

Young's afternoon would then abruptly end just three minutes later, sent off for a second bookable offence as he again upended Frear in front of the referee.

The half was, otherwise, entirely uneventful up to that point until Harriers registered their first real opportunity of the half on 29 minutes, a neat combination of passes seeing Elton Ngwatala and Omari Patrick surge up field before the former, on his first start, arrowed a shot that drifted just off target.

It took 40 minutes for either side to produce a serious footballing  move and it arrived for the hosts courtesy of the lively outlet of Bennett, his charging run and cross setting up Williams who, first time, could only drive a shot past Snedker and his far post.

Harriers made a change at the break in throwing on Luke Maxwell, and it was the men from Aggborough who created the first opening of the half as a driving run from Whitfield saw him win the ball before shooting at goalkeeper Arnold who held well.

But that spurt was brief for the reds and from there, Rovers again continued to dominate the ball and so the game; they extended their lead with 57 minutes on the clock when an Elliott Frear corner was met by a totally unopposed header from Williams.

On 72 minutes Rovers may have added a third and it would have been a carbon-copy of the second; a simple corner ball drifted in to a crowd of bodies where, this time, it was Aaron Racine who met it without competition, though on this occasion his header drifted wide.

Inside the last ten there was another chance for that third goal when Guthrie turned and took aim at Snedker - a strong, low save from the goalkeeper before an attempted follow-up was ruled offside - it mattered not, though, as we trickled in to added time, Guthrie got his goal as he thumped home a header from a deep cross.

    Latest Match Reports