Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Jan 16 at 16:45 PM

REPORT: Harriers beaten by Guiseley

For the second time this season, a late goal from Guiseley was enough to condemn Harriers to a defeat as they ran out 1-0 winners at Aggborough.

Aggborough finally welcomed back football for the first time, where Harriers were concerned, for a full month - but that didn't tell in the early stages when the hosts pressed their visitors hard for every inch.

Though early chances were at a premium, Guiseley thought they'd taken the lead after eleven minutes - only for an effort to be ruled offside. As it was, that served to awaken the reds as a creative force, in particular Elton Ngwatala.

The Frenchman was behind the hosts' first two chances of the afternoon; the first seeing him drive from distance, a shot going wide, and then the second saw him charge half the length of the pitch with the ball, surging past all before him before shooting into the hands of goalkeeper Steven Drench.

Up at the other end, Guiseley remained a threat and almost stole ahead when Rothery's 16th-minute shot sailed narrowly over, Anthony Dudley then warming the hands of Dean Snedker with his own, low drive.

Harriers held firm in their drive to play from the back and, although that led to one or two hairy moments in the first half, the reds remained a composed threat and, as the game wore on, both James McQuilkin dipping a shot just off target and Kelvin Langmead doing something similar with a close-range header.

The second period had two key chances within the first five minutes - one at either end. Harriers were up first, as the skilful Ngwatala watched the ball down just outside the area and struck the ball sweetly before watching it crash the inside of the post - and away!

Then, within a moment, Hurst should really have nodded Guiseley in front as he met a corner with a relatively unchallenged header that somehow edged wide by the shortest of distances.

Past the hour, Harriers created half openings through the influential Ngwatala and, on 69 minutes, Barnes-Homer; after he'd been played in well by the midfielder, the striker miscued his effort and never really troubled Drench.

The hosts introduced changes from the bench with Luke Maxwell and Gurjit Singh joining the fray but, with a dozen minutes left to play, they were dealt the hammer blow of Guiseley going ahead - substitute Liam Dickinson's first touch to fire the ball home, picking up the seconds from a visiting corner.

    Latest Match Reports