Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Feb 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Controlled Harriers make it three

Harriers made it three wins in a week as they fired in three goals in the opening half an hour at Aggborough to beat Macclesfield 3-1.

Both sides began this afternoon with a real pace, a tempo that far belied the freezing-cold conditions in Worcestershire.

There were chances at either end inside a busy opening ten minutes - after Harry White did well to clear a Macc header from a corner off the line, Ben Whitfield got his eye in on the target as he took aim with two close-range efforts that snatched off target.

Harriers kept up their work-rate and endeavour, though, and stunned Macclesfield with two goals in less than five minutes to get a real strangle-hold on the game. The first goal came from a corner, Whitfield's delivery simply not dealt with as Keith Lowe, at the far post, managed to force it home.

Just as the Silkmen tried to settle on the one goal deficit, the reds added a second through White - the on-loan Barnsley man picking up on another treat of a Whitfield pass before, from just outside the area, shooting at Jalal who fumbled it horribly as the ball rolled beyond him and in to the net.

The Aggborough faithful were pleased with that and, midway through the first half, were delirious when two became three; easily the best of the bunch as a fantastic pass from Maxwell yet again set Whitfield free. He took his time and crossed into the area where Gnahoua was on hand to meet it with a sweeping finish that took the ball beyond Jalal.

Stunned further, Macclesfield made two changes, introducing top strikers Dennis and Rowe and from there they worked out a brace of good chances. First, Harriers needed a strong Hodgkiss clearance to sweep away the danger after Snedker parried a Whitaker shot. Just after, the lively Dennis shot across goal on the angle and only missed the bottom corner by inches.

Harriers were in such control of the first half that it was no surprise that, by comparison, the start to the second period was a relative non-event.

The reds were happy to do their defensive duties, with Macclesfield struggling to ask too many questions of them up to the hour mark - the only real exception being Jack Sampson's low shot that Snedker was able to watch wide.

There was some polished defending to admire - one crunching challenge from Maxwell prevented a defensive clearance reaching its  mark into the last third of the game while, with less than 10 to go, only a sublime tackle from George Pilkington prevented pacy sub, Omari Patrick, getting a shot at goal.

As we entered a period of four added minutes, Harriers did have their clean sheet muddied - it was a peach of an effort from key marksman Dennis, as he rifled a free-kick in off the underside of the bar from fully 20 yards.

    Latest Match Reports