Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 20 Feb 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: All-even in four-goal thriller

Despite taking a two-goal lead, Harriers had to make do with a share of the spoils at Aggborough on Saturday as they played out a 2-2 draw with Chester.

As has been the theme for recent games at Aggborough, Harriers raced out of the blocks and immediately set about asking questions of the Chester defence.

Debutant Lewis Kinsella was forward on the prowl and, inside two minutes, he'd forced the hosts the first corner of the day and, although Chester has cleared the immediate danger, Whitfield was able to recycle play and fire a shot in to the side netting.

Harriers continued to play the best of the football and, similarly to the last home game against Macclesfield, goals in quick succession then followed to give them a measure of control on the game.

It was two goals in three minutes; the first coming from Arthur Gnahoua as he picked on a Whitfield pass before leaving the back-line for dead, heading in to the Chester area and drilling a firm, low shot beyond goalkeeper Thompson.

Then, with the celebrations still audible in the crowd, it was 2-0; Harry White expertly dispatching from 12 yards to continue his own strong form after Ryan Lloyd had been adjudged to have handled Whitfield's cross into the area.

Immediately, Chester responded and kept Harriers honest - Ben Henegan trying his luck from distance and very  nearly succeeding, Snedker on hand to parry away the ball for what was the visitors' first real chance of the day.  Then, with five til the break, Ross Hannah should really have done better as he sliced a shot wayward from a corner.

Quick as a flash after the restart, White almost added his team's third with a firm shot at the far post but goalkeeper Thompson was happy to see it flash past the target - but not by much.

Thompson would be forced into much stronger work just three prior to the hour, a fine passing move from Harriers ending with Whitfield's strong, rising drive that the custodian met with two strong palms.

Five past that hour mark, Chester were handed a way back in to the game by a questionable penalty. Hannah and Langmead had gone toe-to-toe inside the area and in a good test of strength, Harriers came away with the ball, only for the referee to point to the spot. Hannah himself stepped up to do the honours to the delight of the visiting fans.

As questionable as the decision was, it put Harriers under a sustained spell of pressure for the first time in the day - it told with 15 to go when, just after Astles had nodded a header wide, Chester struck level when the powerfully Alabi, with his back to goal, turned his man and powered a shot into the top corner.

As the game drifted in to its final moments, there was a huge chance for both teams to snatch a third and win it. Hannah broke free and slipped an effort wide when he perhaps should have buried it and, in front of the North Stand, only a fantastic stop from Thompson stopped Williams' header crashing in as he somehow turned it wide.

    Latest Match Reports