Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 23 Feb 16 at 21:30 PM

Report: A first-half horror

A poor first half showing cost Harriers very, very dear on Tuesday night as they were beaten 2-0 by Wrexham in the National League.

If Harriers had become recent games - or certainly those at Aggborough - with a real flurry, it would be no understatement to say that the first half at the Racecourse was comparatively a disaster.

The opening stages were, to say the least, more than a little cagey. Only Connor Jennings' effort from distance could really have registered as a shot but Dean Snedker was able to gather that comfortably enough.

Costly mistakes, so rarely a feature in recent weeks for Colin Gordon's charges, started to creep in and, taking advantage, Wrexham gained control with two goals before the half-hour mark.

On 15 minutes they went ahead after the lively Kayden Jackson brutally punished Kelvin Langmead for a slip on the ball - charging towards goal, he held off the defender before slamming the ball past Snedker and in to the net.

Harriers never steadied from that moment and Wrexham were able to add to their lead far too easily - pulling out a set-play move from the training ground as Fowler met a short corner with a looped ball into the box where Jackson was again the man on the spot to push it over the line.

After the break, Jackson almost completed his hat-trick with less than ten minutes played, though he was thwarted by a low, strong save from Snedker.

Seven after the hour, Wrexham continued to pour forward on the counter attack, and experienced marksman Jennings almost made it 3-0, but a low Jennings shot skidded along the surface and just wide of the upright.

The  Harriers fans - a tremendous 128 of them who made the midweek trip - were given precious little to cheer about, and what there was didn't come until the final eight minutes.

The talents of Gnahoua in recent weeks have been a joy to behold and in isolation these were no exception - only a fine Taylor save preventing his firm drive finding the back of the net before, just a minute later, his quick feet set him free in the area where his goalbound effort was steered wide by a fortunate deflection.

    Latest Match Reports