Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Mar 16 at 16:45 PM

Another Macca special earns a point

Another James McQuilkin wonder-strike was enough to earn Harriers a share of the spoils at Woking on Saturday as an entertaining game at Kingfield finished 1-1.

Truly rotten conditions greeted the two teams at Kingfield with a driving wind and pouring rain making for a testing arena in which to start the game.

That said, Harriers had all of the ball early on as they looked to pen Woking inside their own half so it was a real blow that it was the Cards who took the lead before the quarter-hour. It was the first time the ball had really entered the Harriers half, much less their box, but it was the hosts who stayed alert as a ball was nodded down at the near-post and swept into the net by Dan Carr.

Carr might have doubled his tally two minutes later when he side-footed wide from close-range, Arthur Gnahoua then up at the other end registering his team's first effort of the day on 23 minutes when his drive was parried away by Cole in the home goal, as was Whitfield's attempt that came soon after.

Though the early goal was a blow, there could be  little doubt that Harriers were the stronger of the two teams for the remainder of the half another key chance for them to level the scores coming five minutes past the half-hour mark when Whitfield nodded over a superb Kinsella delivery.

Harriers began the second period with a succession of corners and it was the first of those that proved the most dangerous, a Whitfield delivery curling in the horrid wind looking like it would dip in under the bar, Cole on hand to palm it away at the last.

The visitors were never out of the game, evidenced by the fact that Max O'Leary had to wait until past the hour mark until he could make his first save of the day - a Woking counter attack seeing Goddard played in late, his shot being stopped by the legs of the youngster.

That began the first real prolonged spell in the ascendency and they fashioned further good chances through Carr, who struck wide, and Goddard who had a brace of attempts; one low shot that was gathered by O'Leary and a distance drive that rose high, bouncing off the  bar before going over.

An end-to-end half then swung the way of Harriers as we entered the final 20 minutes; Whitfield with another couple of chances to notch, but his low efforts were kept out by some fine work from Cole who showed great reflexes to keep out the AFC Bournemouth loanee.

Harriers continued to push and with eleven minutes left to play they were level. There was some great work from Whitfield who'd been pushed out wide - he stole in to the area and slipped in Garnett whose shot was blocked, the ball falling to  McQuilkin some 20 yards out. The strike was a beauty as it bent beyond Cole and in to the back of the net.

It was bound to be a frantic finish as both sides searched for a winner and on 85 minutes that third goal really should have gone Woking's way as a breakaway saw sub Quigley round goalkeeper O'Leary, only for Jordan Jones to get back and block the final shot after the forward had hesitated.

    Latest Match Reports