Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Apr 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Last home game ends in a draw

A Keith Lowe header was enough to hand Harriers a share of the spoils in a keenly-fought 1-1 draw at Aggborough with play-off hopefuls Dover Athletic.

Despite relegation, Harriers had a good run to try and maintain and, likewise, play-off hopefuls were in strong form and so there was plenty to ensure we had an energetic beginning to the game. 

It proved to be just that - inside the opening ten minutes, both goalkeepers had their shorts dirty as they went to ground to make saves; Snedker keenly thwarting the alert Modeste and Payne as Dover looked for the early breakthrough, while Lewis Kinsella's dribbling and weaving took him to the edge of the area where he saw his shot saved by Walker. 

With a dozen minutes on the clock, the first goal arrived and it went the way of Harriers. It was as beautifully simple a goal as you like as a fine Whitfield corner was fizzed into the danger area where a determined run from Lowe saw him charge on to the end of it to power a header home.

Arguably, Payne should have put Dover level a couple of minutes later as he lifted the ball over Snedker from 12 yards, only for his shot to clear the target - Lowe then nearly doubling his and his team's lead with half an hour gone as he planted a header wide after Tyrone Williams lifted in a strong cross.

Though Harriers remained a test and kept up a physical response to Dover's own strength, it was always the visitors who created the finer number of chances - finally taking one on the very stroke of half time as Miller nipped in unnoticed and unchallenged to loft a finish over Snedker and into the roof of his net.

Harriers were indebted to their No.13 early in the second half as his excellent parry kept out a downward header from Magri, Dover re-working the ball into the area and upping the pressure as the reds were unable to clear.

Miller once again went close with 61 minutes gone as he shot over, shortly before Harriers introduced Arthur Gnahoua from the bench; his impact almost instant as he helped guide a ball across the box that Francis-Angol nudged just off target as he leaned into the effort.

It really was an even affair in many ways and the two sides were well matched going into the final stages; Ngwatala going close as he aimed for the top corner on 82 minutes only for a good pair of palms from Walker to keep it out.

Both goalkeepers had done their share throughout the day but the best individual save of the day came in the final minute; Patrick and Whitfield breaking clear as the former crossed to the latter who shot, Walker spreading himself and somehow keeping the ball out.

    Latest Match Reports