Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 30 Apr 16 at 19:15 PM

Report: Reds win a thriller to finish

Harriers smashed in four goals away from home to reach the 40-point mark for the season with an excellent 4-3 victory at Southport on Saturday evening.

If you wanted a game with a little bit of action to finish the season off, then this affair at the Merseyrail Community Stadium duly obliged - and did so from the off.

Barely out of the blocks, Harriers were behind within five minutes as Southport netted from the penalty spot. The reds failed to deal with a long ball up field and, when Louis Almond nipped past the back-line and tried to round Snedker, the custodian was adjudged to have fouled him to the award of a spot-kick, which Almond himself had dispatched. 

But the response from Harriers was typical of their final 20 games of the season. They promptly went up the other end and smashed home an equaliser; Zaine Francis-Angol supplying the ammunition, with a cross that McQuilkin was only too happy to fire into the bottom corner past a h helpless Max Crocombe. 

The visitors went on to complete the turnaround by ensure they were ahead at the interval. After Ngwatala fizzed a chance over the bar and Harriers had survived something of a scare when Phenix drove one inches past the post up at the other end, it would be the influential Frenchman who bettered his effort by scoring his second goal of the season. 

It was a fantastic effort from the team and a fine passing  move that really left Southport standing and watching, Elton supplying a fine finish from a cross drilled in right from the byline with Crocombe once again left rooted.

Southport would claim the first chance of the second period as Snedker parried away Almond's shot, but the Harriers no.13 would be beaten for the second time on the day with five gone after the hour, Phenix grabbing Southport's leveller as the reds were caught napping on the ball - a fine finish finding the bottom corner.

Compared to an all-action first half, there was really much less to say about the second 45 as a whole and, indeed, Harriers nudged themselves back in front with less than a quarter of an hour to go with what was their first real chance of the period. 

On as a substitute, Evan Garnett immediately set about making himself something of a physical presence and it was his effort that did much for the goal - a cross drilled almost along the  goal-line where Tyrone Williams was on hand to tap in his first goal for the club.

As substitute appearances went, Garnett's wasn't a bad one - he had an assist and a goal to his name come the end of play as he added Harriers' fourth with just six minutes to play; Gnahoua with the cute through-ball to allow the former Belper man to finally show what he could do in front of goal with an excellent and firm finish.

Sub Ryan's finish past Snedker came deep in injury time but the win was to go the way of Harriers.

    Latest Match Reports