Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 09 Feb 16 at 21:30 PM

Report: Spirited Reds win again!

Arthur Gnahoua's superb second half goal sealed a fine 3-2 win for Harriers over Eastleigh on Tuesday to give the team back to back victories. 

If you felt Harriers might have come in to this one with a bit of confidence after a first win since November at the weekend, you'd be right - within three minutes they had the lead through a well-taken goal.

It owed so much to a crunching challenge from front-man Harry White to block a defensive clearance - that freed up the ball for Whitfield who charged ahead, breaking into the area, shooting but seeing his effort blocked - the ball falling to Luke Maxwell who sweetly curled the ball beyond Michael Poke in the home goal.

That lifted confidence around Aggborough, as you'd expect, and Elton Ngwatala tried his luck with a couple of efforts from distance as the half wore on, but both were off target. 

Whitfield fared a little better around the 20 minute mark with a driven effort after a mazy run that Poke did well to get behind, before his free-kick delivery past the half-hour mark found Kelvin Langmead at the far post, though the defender wasn't able to get a real contact on it.

A smart stop from Snedker right on half time denied Eastleigh's Green, James Constable then registering a chance just after the interval when his low shot on the angle dragged wide of the post.

From an Eastleigh point of view, the miss proved to be costly as Harriers swiftly doubled their advantage with a superb move - a simple yet sublime pass from Ngwatala freeing Maxwell up field. The midfielder struck across goal, forcing Poke to parry straight in to the path of White who slotted home the rebound.

The hosts were never going to have everything their own way on the night and it proved to be the case when Chris Todd's men pulled a goal back just after the hour; former Harrier, James Constable, finishing well at the far post off a Partington cross.

That set nerves jangling and, within an eight minute spell, Eastleigh had completed he comeback to wipe out the Harriers advantage and so too Constable completed his brace - another low cross which the hosts failed to deal with, the striker on hand to tuck the ball home all too easily.

It was at this point that you needed Harriers to muster al their might and character - they did exactly that and stunned the home faithful in to delight with 18 minutes left when they retook  the lead; a jinxing run from Gnahoua taking him past all before him, a fine finish then finding the back of the net.

The remaining period plus four minutes of time was as tense as you would expect - Eastleigh struck the bar with one effort - but true grit and determination saw the players over the line.

    Latest Match Reports