Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 16 Feb 16 at 21:30 PM

Report: Quick-fire goals down Harriers

Two goals in the space of five second half ended Harriers run of consecutive defeats as they fell to a 2-0 reverse at league leaders Cheltenham Town.

It was a cagey affair in close-to-freezing conditions in Gloucestershire with both sides taking some time to feel one another out.

An  opportunistic kick-off from the Robins saw them go for goal immediately, but Snedker was alert and on his line to hold the attempt from distance.

With less than a dozen played there was a slight sniff of goal at each end as a mass scramble in the Harriers area producing only a goal kick, before Tyrone Williams rifled the yellows' first attempt of the night off target.

Midway through the half, Town's Holman sliced a half-volley wide of the post, Whilfield firing wide for Harriers four minutes later as he tried to nip through a momentary gap in the Cheltenham back-line.

Past the half-hour, Cheltenham upped the pressure a little and both Holman and Parslow had chances with a shot and a header respectively, though the hands of Snedker were smart on both counts as he smothered the ball.

Five before the break, a mazy, jinxing run from Gnahoua carried him the length of the Cheltenham half, dodging challenges on the way. The final effort, perhaps understandably, was lacking in power and Dillon Phillips was able to get down and gather.

Five minutes after the interval, however, Harriers fell behind as Cheltenham took the lead from the penalty spot - Danny Wright doing the honours from a dozen yards against his former club after the referee had spotted a handball in amongst a crowd at a corner.

Wounded by that goal after a solid start, Harriers will have wanted to at least ride out the following few minutes without incident but suffered a double blow when the hosts' lead was increased - Holman tucking in from inches out, latching on to a tight cross at the by-line.

Harriers reorganised and tried to respond with Langmead side-footing off target from Whitfield's free-kick delivery, sub Garnett then only narrowly missing his connection with  Hodgkiss' driven cross.

The visitors did persevere but their best chance of a goal came as late as the 88th minute when, finding room on the edge of the area, Harry White tried his luck and produced a smart save from Phillips who tipped over the bar.

    Latest Match Reports