Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 09 Aug 16 at 21:30 PM

Report: Home term starts with defeat

HARRIERS suffered defeat in their first home game of the season on Tuesday night as they were beaten 2-1 by Brackley Town. 

With the rampant style in which Harriers began their first game of the season on Saturday, there was no doubt that Brackley would have come with the intention of snuffing out any such charge on his night. 

That proved successful in as much as the visitors had control of much of the opening third of the game - all of the early sights at goal going their way as striker Steve Diggin twice tested Sam Hornby in the Harriers goal, James Armson also striking just off target from distance.

Harriers had to be patient for their opportunities at the Town goal, and Elton Ngwatala struck an effort more out of frustration than anything else as we approached the half hour, only to see it fly wide.

Zaine Francis-Angol floated in a superb delivery a few minutes later and only a fine piece of defending prevented an opening goal when Alex Gudger nodded past his own goalkeeper and wide from around five yards.

The first goal of the night did come on 36 minutes and, perhaps with the flow of the half, it went Brackley's way from the penalty spot as Armson dispatched from 12 yards with Jordan Tunnicliffe adjudged to have fouled Ellis Myles inside the area.

Harriers managed a response three minutes before the break thanks to a lovely team move; Waite keeping the ball in play at the far post where Hodgkiss was on hand to play in Dieseruvwe who took a touch before lifting a shot narrowly over the target.

Francis-Angol was a big part in what Harriers did well in the first half and, almost immediately after the restart, he was just as pivotal in preventing Brackley getting a second goal, his clearance off the line denying Gareth Dean as his header looked goalward. The former Motherwell man was once again defensively instrumental ten minutes after the break as he cleared the ball in a split second after Armson's header off Walker's cross hit the base of the post.

John Eustace threw Stambolziev and Andre Brown later in the half and the two of them combined at a Harriers corner with 18 minutes left on the clock, the Aussie winger seeing his corner nodded just wide by the debutant. 

The frustration was palpable around Aggborough and so that only deepened inside the final quarter hour when a mix-up at a corner saw Gudger force the ball into the net at the far post to ensure Brackley doubled their advantage.

The reds really needed a boost if they were at least going to set up a strong finish and, three minutes after going two goals down they got it - Waite fouled in the area before picking himself and doing the honours to coolly convert the game's second penalty.

    Latest Match Reports