Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Aug 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Late goal holds Reds to draw

A LATE goal denied Harriers a third straight away win as they were forced to make do with a 1-1 draw in horrendous weather conditions at Boston United.

Harriers made thunderous starts to their first two away games and they duly did so for a third straight match with an early goal here. 

There were just a couple of minutes gone when some bravery from Mani Dieseruvwe saw him go in with goalkeeper Christian Dibble for a ball - the striker won out and got a toe to it, only a fantastic last-ditch lunge from Joe Robinson stopping it from ending up in the net.

Robinson's joy proved very short lived, though - and in the worst way possible; barely 60 seconds later Harriers had the lead as a deadly reds' attack saw Zaine Francis-Angol cross fizzed across the box where Robinson was helpless in touching it past Dibble for the opening goal of the game.

Ryan Croasdale,  on his first start, forced Dibble into a parry with a long drive with a dozen on the clock, but Boston had their own half chances, too, with Joe Maguire's free-kick and Jay Rollins' far-post free-kick going close up at the other end. 

On the half hour, Waite's arrowed shot almost fetched Harriers a second with Dibble again equal to it with a good save; more safe have hands from the home custodian six minutes later denying Gnahoua what would have been a certain goal as he charged into the penalty area. 

As thundering and lightning rippled around the ground, the game lost its way towards the break in amongst a fever of yellow cards, fouls and fiery tempers both on the pitch and in the stands - the half-time whistle perhaps a more than welcome break. 

The visitors were far brighter to start the second half and they forced Hornby into a sound save through a low Rollins shot, Dieseruvwe registering the first sighter of Harriers interest soon after as he lifted a shot from 18 yards over the bar.

As we reached the hour mark, Harriers went unbelievably close to a second - first Elton Ngwatala found the base of the post with a neat header that beat Dibble all ends up, the ball then falling to McQuilkin whose first-time shot was cleared off the line by - you guessed it - Robinson. The ball again fell to McQuilkin as both players repeated the trick.

Dibble once again kept a Waite effort away six minutes later, while that  man Robinson again was the hero for the hosts as his block diverted a McQuilkin curler of a Francis-Angol cross.

The more you saw Harriers go unsuccessfully close to a second, you just sensed there would be a way Boston would make them pay and, with five minutes left, that proved to be the case when skipper Maguire rose to meet a free-kick into the area before nodding it beyond Hornby.

    Latest Match Reports