Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 10 Sep 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Back to winning ways

HARRIERS got back to winning ways as an excellent James McQuilkin goal handed out a first defeat of the season to title-chasing Salford City.

Harriers had to withstand some early pressure from Salford where time on the ball was concerned; much of the opening minutes was spent with the ball inside the reds' area - but when it did advance further, the team wasted no time at all in taking a lead.

When Harriers were awarded a ninth-minute free-kick from 25 yards out and a gaggle of players assembled over it in a rather novel fashion, you sensed it would either be something majestic or something wayward that would follow; thankfully for the home fans it was the former as James McQuilkin, teed up, lashed a low, arrowing finish that drilled into the bottom corner of the net.

Salford seemed undeterred and almost responded immediately through a counter-attack; Craig King was at the point of it and he took aim at the target with a rising effort that only just sailed over Sam Hornby's goal.

With 25 on the clock, a creative finish from Tyrone Williams took Harriers close for a second only for his backheel at the far post to angle just over the bar; Nottingham and Walker trying to find a leveller for the visitors as they tried their luck from distance.

Near the end of the half Harriers had a big chance to double their lead - Waite's fine run and cross finding Dieseruvwe in the area but, leaning back, the hit man could only nod his header just over the bar from close range.

Drama at the start of the second half came courtesy of a red card for the visitors - a needlessly-late challenge from Grand on Dieseruvwe resulting in an early bath for the Salford skipper. 

Ngwatala and Dieseruve did their best to find a second and turn the screw before the hour by going close, the latter then connecting superbly with a McQuilkin corner three minutes later, his flicked shot blocked well near the goal line.

Gnahoua then spun well and fired a shot at Lynch that blazed narrowly off target as the chances mounted, the former Macclesfield man following up on a Williams shot to fire one wide with less than a quarter of an hour to play.

You worried for Harriers they may be made to pay for not having added to their lead - the Aggborough crowd did in the fifth minute of added time when Hulme rose to meet a ball into the area but a fine stop from Hornby secured the points.

    Latest Match Reports