Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Sep 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Fight-back earns a point

STUNNING substitutes Liam Truslove and Andre Brown rescued Harriers with goals in the second half to secure a point in a 3-3 draw for Harriers who'd been 3-0 down at the break. 

Alfreton had maintained a solid record against teams in the higher places of the division in recent weeks - so having dispatched both Harrogate Town and AFC Fylde in past encounters, it was in some respects so surprise that they started so strongly.

It was the worst of bad starts for John Eustace's men - inside a minute the home side had the lead as experienced striker Craig Westcarr tucked home a low cross into the area; a lead Alfreton would double just minutes later as Tom Allan powered home an impressive header from a corner before Harriers could even draw breath. 

The response did come - with 19 minutes gone Tyrell Waite worked his team's first effort on target with a firm drive that Fabian Spiess parried away, Elton Ngwatala and Arthur Gnahoua then driving off target all before the half-hour mark.

Just after that, McQuilkin lifted a shot just over the bar from inside the area as the visitors began to keep the ascendancy, only to be shot back down to earth with a bang and then some as Alfreton's third arrived courtesy of a low finish from Priestley after Harriers were robbed off the ball inside a dangerous area. 

Harriers needed a response at half-time and they got that when, seven minutes after the break, they got a goal back through substitute Liam Truslove when he, on the angle, drilled a firm finished beyond Spiess and into the far corner of the net.

From there the visitors dominated the game but, for the raft of chances they created, Spiess was never greatly troubled as Gnahoua, with a low shot, and Waite, with an angled attempt, registered what were probably half chances.

Boss Eustace made all three changes with plenty of time to spare with Brown and Austin thrown into the fray, Truslove forcing a great save from Spiess with less than ten minutes to play from a distance free-kick that rose up and over the wall superbly.

It really then proved to be the substitutes show - Harriers netted two goals in as many minutes near the death to bring themselves level, a cutting solo move from Brown earning him the space to drive the ball into the net for his first goal for the club, before another incisive passive move threaded Truslove through for a composed second of the afternoon!

Harriers amazingly might still have won it - but in the final minute, Brown saw an effort deflected behind for a corner, from which Lowe fired over.

    Latest Match Reports