Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Oct 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: United end unbeaten run

HARRIERS suffered their first home defeat since August as a goal in each half was enough for FC United of Manchester to secure a 2-0 win.

A strong crowd and autumnal sun of similar strength greeted the two teams - the atmosphere on offer suggested we'd be in for an entertaining affair and the opening minutes didn't disappoint. 

Harriers set about creating the early chances and, with a dozen on the clock, visiting goalkeeper Dave Carnell already had two solid saves to his name - the first denying Waite a certain goal as he raced to follow up after Luke Ashworth had cleared a McQuilkin cross on to his own post.

Not long after, Carnell made amends for a wayward clearance; the ball eventually found McQuilkin who took a touch before striking firmly from distance- a strong parry keeping the attacker at bay.

The home side were far the more dominant of the two sides but, without anything to show for it, they were always at risk and so it proved just past the midway point of the half; a free-kick delivery from United dropping beyond Hornby and finding the net via a helpless Lowe who did little more than stand in position.

Even the goal wasn't enough to halt the tide of Harriers opening; almost immediately Harriers were level as a charging Williams run found Gnahoua and he slid in Francis-Angol - the full-back's low drive blocked  well by Carnell.

Less than ten after the break, United did finally fashion a first chance of their own at goal and it should have resulted in a second goal as Thomson latched on to a long ball up field before rounding Hornby - the forward getting his finish horribly wrong as he slice wide of an open net.

Bang on the hour, Carnell was at it once again - Harriers were fast and on the charge through Waite as he entered the area before driving a low cross along the face of the six yard box; Williams meeting it at the far post with a shot that the stopper did well to keep out.

Straight back up the other end, there was a break of just two further minutes before United doubled their advantage; Ashworth rising to too-easily meet a corner delivery with a thumping header that found the net.

Harriers still kept on going; through Williams and McQuilkin they forced further, good saves from Carnell at the far post, the latter seeing the keeper get down low after McQuilkin had met a good Dieseruvwe cross.

Substitute Andre Brown was next up with a dozen minutes to go, he kept Carnell's palms warm with a header off Waite's cross, Hornby excelling himself in the final two minutes to twice save off Thomson as the striker lazily tried to round him after being one on one.

    Latest Match Reports