Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 12 Nov 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Misery at The Shay

Harriers endured a rotten day at the office as they fell to a 2-0 defeat at FC Halifax Town while also having Tyrone Williams sent off.

There was plenty to see and talk about in the early part of this game but, to the detriment of the sport, most of it was rather unsavoury.

The match referee whipped out three yellow cards inside the opening ten minutes. On another day you might have seen each of the three offences go unpunished but, having given one, a precedent was set as Harriers men Williams and Tunnicliffe were amongst those in the book. 

Chances were few and far between, though Halifax did have half a sight of goal when a ball fell outside the area to Sinnott, who lifted a shot comfortably over the target.

Ashley Carter was making good use of time and space going forward and, with 26 on the clock, his whipped cross need a touch to turn it behind as it teased its way towards goalkeeper Drench's bottom corner.

The bookings continued to flow as the tally reached five before the interval, with fans in attendance yet to see either side really get into any kind of footballing flow.

The Halifax fans inside the ground were soon cheering, though - after Sinnott had seen a shot saved, the hosts had the lead five minutes inside the five minutes and a man ahead just moments later.

Before all that, the Shaymen actually had a penalty saved; Hornby doing excellently away to his right to keep out a spot-kick from skipper King - a joy short-lived, as sub Kosylo was able to see the  ball re-worked to him before powering a finish into the bottom corner.

For Harriers it would get worse in short order - Tyrone Williams, one of those early bookings, saw a second yellow for a foul on Wilde.

In truth there was little to report after to that for a good half an hour or so - maybe even less. Substitute Liam Truslove entered with less than 20 minutes left but his shot on the counter was comfortably saved by Drench, while Kevin Roberts found the top of the stand up at the other end a couple of minutes later.

Another substitute in Andre Brown then tried his luck as he kept the ball outside the area but Drench, again, was behind it. 

The second goal came as Harriers pushed for a leveller; Peniket picking up the ball and hogging it before firing it beyond Hornby.

    Latest Match Reports