Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Nov 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Back to winning ways

HARRIERS got back to winning ways in comfortable fashion with a routine 3-0 win over Gainsborough Trinity at Aggborough Stadium.

Much had been made of the fact that Harriers had spent the last few weeks away from home and if they had been looking to quickly settle back into familiar surroundings, they managed in style.

Within five minutes they had registered two good chances to notch an early goal.  Gnahoua was the menace, after three he had forced a good save from George Willis as he looked to finish at the near post, before Elton Ngwatala snatched a shot over the bar from close range.

Just seven had elapsed when the home side did break the deadlock and to that end it was no surprise when Gnahoua got it - picking up on Elton's ball before finding space and firing the ball like an arrow into the far corner.

Some ten minutes later Gnahoua might have had a second, only a late defensive block diverting his shot as it made its way towards the far corner. 

The visitors were a threat on the break and Hornby was called into action with a test of his reflexes soon after, a first chance of the day for Trinity seeing accomplished striker Jarman shoot and force the Burton Albion loanee into a smart parry.

That was, however, about as close as the visitors came in the first half - Harriers largely continuing to control things.

They added a second goal before the interval - just after a warning signal from Gnahoua saw a rising effort fly just over the bar, it was 2-0 on the stroke of the break as Brown nodded the ball down at a corner. Ngwatala lurked at the far post and saw a shot saved excellently by Willis - only for the Harriers man to follow up at the second attempt.

Willis, frustrated by the second goal understandably, didn't seem undeterred as within seconds of the restart he was swiftly at the feet of Brown to deny him after he'd been played in by Ngwatala.

A spell from Trinity lifted them further into the ascendancy around the hour mark but despite a succession of throws and corners they failed to really trouble Hornby.

That would be something they'd come to rue when, three after the hour, Ngwatala's quick feet supplying Tyrell Waite who promptly cut inside before rolling a great low finish past the palm of the otherwise excellent Willis and into the far corner.

Six minutes later the relentless Gnahoua was chasing the ball down again before seeing Willis hold his low shot, before Jarman fired wide from an acute angle at the other end after getting the better of Lowe for arguably the first time on the day.

McQuilkin, played in by the tireless Austin, stepped inside his man and shot as he looked to get in amongst the goal action - but his curling shot edged just wide of the post.

    Latest Match Reports