Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 03 Dec 16 at 16:45 PM

Report: Reds win at Avenue

HARRIERS kept up their good recent form with a hard-fought and deserved 3-1 win at Bradford Park Avenue.

While Harriers made three changes to the starting line-up, one player to keep his place after scoring in the FA Trophy last weekend was Andre Brown.

He’d returned the faith shown in him by scoring the first goal of the game within four minutes – Arthur Gnahoua released inside the area and hurdling challenges well enough to force the ball across the face where the former Crewe man was on hand to tap in from close range.

Waite was then on the prowl and twice struck off target in the following minutes, before his charging run and cross with 20 on the clock almost found Gnahoua only for an Avenue man to race back and block it out.

Two minutes later, a shot from McQuilkin inside the area was parried well by goalkeeper Worsnop, before Boshell struck wide of the target with his team’s first serious sight of goal – lining up the ball well outside the area before arrowing it past the post.

That would be a miss Avenue would rue, too, as Harriers promptly went up the other end and doubled their lead; Ganhoua allowed to cut inside and advance on goal before unleashing his trademark top-corner finish that left Worsnop with no chance.

Harriers were not done for the half, though – more clinical finishing saw them take a three-goal lead into the interval; referee Matthew Dicicco had played a decent advantage after a foul just inside the Avenue half – Croasdale staying alert to spray the ball out to Waite who, after a good first touch, rifled the ball past Worsnop.

The second half was not as quickly to start as the first, though James McQuilkin was handily placed at a free-kick ten minutes past the restart only to see his effort blocked by the home side.

Liam Truslove was introduced around the hour as part of a double sub and, within minutes, he forced a good block inside the area from a corner move that’s already brought him two goals this campaign – this one just about dealt with.

Substitute John Cofie warmed the hands of Hornby with less than a quarter of an hour to play but it proved to a be a routine save for the youngster as he positioned himself well to hold the ball. Barely a couple of minutes later, though, the same man got Avenue on the score sheet as his close-range header was finally enough to beat the Harriers stopper.

Harriers were ever a threat on the break and, with just over nine minutes late, one charge almost saw Austin re-establish a three-goal lead for his team only for his angled shot to be parried away by Worsnop.

Austin was then supplying the ammo with three minutes left, a pull-back after a jinxing run being met by a miss-kick, or an inspired dummie, from Tunnicliffe who supplied Croasdale – his shot yet again drawing a good save from the goalkeeper.

    Latest Match Reports