Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Jan 17 at 16:45 PM

Report: Salford surge downs Harriers

Three second half goals brought Harriers unbeaten run to an end at Salford City as John Eustace’s men were well beaten at Moor Lane.

In a meeting of two teams placed well in the table, the start to this one was always going to be at 100mph or as a slow as you like with no middle ground.

It proved to be the former – James Poole drilled an effort wide of the far post inside two minutes, before his team mate had the ball in the Harriers net seconds later only to be thwarted by an offside flag.

Up at the other and with still just six played, Harriers registered their first attempt of the day as Mani Dieseruvwe won the ball in the area, setting Elton Ngwatala who forced a shot into the palms of goalkeeper Jay Lynch.

Alex Palmer then watched a Josh Hine effort go wide for Salford, remaining busy with less than 20 minutes on the clock when he did well to hold on to a header from home skipper Simon Grand.

Just before the half hour, a solid chance for Harriers to take the lead presented itself to Dieseruvwe but, as he showed great reactions to get on the end of an Ngwatala cross, he couldn’t help but divert his shot narrowly wide of the upright.

Ten minutes before the break Arthur Gnahoua worked himself some space outside the area before curling a shot at Lynch that sailed wide by a matter of inches; Phenix again driving off target similarly to his earlier chance, as the half drew to a close.

Harriers had a big chance immediately after the re-start to take the lead but, after being set free by Ngwatala, Dieseruvwe could only roll the ball wide of the far post on the angle with just the goalkeeper to beat.

Dieseruvwe remained amongst the chances and, just 48 seconds into the second half he was again through on goal, only this time rolling the ball agonisingly wide of the far post with an angled shot.

At the hour, Salford’s first real opening of the half saw Palmer get a good fist to another strong Grand header, clearing the danger from yet another threatening long throw.

The visiting defence stood up well to a constant bombardment, but the breakthrough would come on 65 minutes and it was the home side who got it – another looping delivery into the area hanging up to the far post where Hine was on hand to place home a header.

There was almost a quick response – substitute Knights had done brilliantly to beat the offside trap and, inside the area, looked certain to score with just Lynch to beat, but a fantastic last-ditch tackle from Billy Priestley denied him.

That would serve to act as a boost for the hosts and just minutes later, with just a dozen left to play, they were two goals ahead – a substitute of their own in Jordan Hulme doing the damage as he beat Harriers players inside the area before firing past Palmer and into the net.

The third came in the final moment and with Harriers pushed forward in search of a late comeback; Hine countering and breaking into the visiting half, free to charge down on Palmer and smash a finish into the bottom corner.

    Latest Match Reports