Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 11 Feb 17 at 16:45 PM

Report: Reds see off Curzon

HARRIERS picked up another home win, seeing off a late rally to record a 3-2 win against Curzon Ashton at Aggborough Stadium.

To say Harriers had got themselves off to a reasonable start to this one would probably be an understatement.

This was a Curzon side who had beaten leaders AFC Fylde and Darlington in the same week recently, so it was clearly far from being an easy task to negotiate.

The reds set about the job with vigour, though, and were three goals to the good with less than 15 minutes on the clock.

It took just 92 seconds for the home side to find the net – Curzon sitting with all men back inside their own half were undone, Josh Ezewele’s cross finding James McQuilkin via Darryl Knights, the midfielder finishing it well from 12 yards.

It was only some three minutes later before that lead was doubled; Andre Brown threaded through by Elton Ngwatala, shooting once and seeing his shot saved, before following up the parry to tuck the ball into an empty net.

Curzon tried to settle but just couldn’t; another driven cross was deflected into the path of McQuilkin who put his foot through it to send it crashing beyond goalkeeper Hakan Burton.

The visitors did gain a first sight of goal through Warburton’s low shot, but further efforts from Gnahoua and Knights only served to keep turning up the pressure.

The home side far from had it all their own way; great blocks from Lowe and McQuilkin saw them doing more than enough of the game’s dirty side past the half hour mark.

Just before the interval, Knights almost made it four for Harriers; he was again there picking up the pieces after Brown had struck another fine shot – Burton parrying into the path of the former Yeovil man who nearly saw his follow-up deflected into the net.  

Ten minutes after the restart, Harriers set about adding to their score with a neat exchange of passing outside the area – McQuilkin the point of it as his angled shot blazed off target.

Three further on, a mazy run from Williams ended with a low shot that Burton dealt with, but the keeper was helpless to watch Harriers’ best passing move of the game six past the hour as McQuilkin ended it with a great cross that Brown powerfully nodded over.

The game had been fully one-way traffic up to the 76th minute and so it was a surprise to the home fans when, with a rare chance at goal, Curzon notched a goal back; Hall racing through on to a pass and nicking it beyond Palmer and into the net.

Six minutes later the grandstand finish that never looked likely well and truly arrived – Curzon netting a second as they took a quick throw, Palmer only able to get a very strong parry to a firm shot, leaving sub Brown with the task of finishing from close range.

Harriers frantically tried to put the game to bed, with Austin firing wide up at the other end, the referee's whistle coming after three minutes of nervy added time.

    Latest Match Reports