Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Apr 17 at 16:45 PM

Report: Nti goal helps down City

HARRIERS netted a goal in each half to pick up an impressive 2-1 away win at Gloucester City.

In glorious sunshine, it was the visitors who were fairly dominant from the off.

Inside the first ten minutes they had worked half chances after Joe Ironside and Jordan Tunnicliffe had headed off target, before soon after Tyrell Waite flicked a great effort at goal from a low cross that former Harrier Jas Singh was able to turn aside.

Just two minutes later, though, the team were ahead and it was Ironside again on the spot to pounce on indecision, the hosts failing to deal with a McQuilkin delivery that Waite nodded up into the air, the striker doing the honours and heading home.

Before Gloucester could gather it was almost two; a fantastic move seeing Waite and Knights combine to release Zaine Francis-Angol, whose low cross was almost turned into his own net by Jack Deaman.

At that stage Harriers looked comfortable but, with 26 on the clock, the home side struck level with virtually their first attack of the game; a fine exchange of passes on the edge of the area coming to an end as Williams let fly with a drive that flew past Hornby.

John Eustace’s men responded well to that set-back and almost strode back ahead with a great move on 37 minutes; a strong run and cross from Nti finding Ironside on the half-volley who crashed a shot narrowly wide.

Before an eventful half would draw to a close, City had a couple of sniffs of goal – a Hanks free-kick needing a palm over the bar from Hornby, the resulting corner seeing a shot cleared off the line by Hodgkiss.

The second period was far scrappier to start and it took until the hour mark for chances to start emerging at either end – and they certainly did!

Knowles spurned two fine openings with a looping header over the bar and a shot that he scooped off target from close range; luckily for Harriers they were more clinical between those two chances and netted a second as Knights played in Nti who took a great touch before firing home.

It remained end-to-end stuff, though – within the six minutes that followed, only a fine block at each end prevented Knights and Knowles again from finding the net respectively, before Keith Lowe twice went close to giving Harriers a two-goal lead, crashing one effort off the bar and other just over it.

That proved to be the last of the big chances, but it wasn’t the final talking point – there was a late red card deep, deep into injury time as City’s Deaman appeared to talk himself into an early bath.

    Latest Match Reports