Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 22 Apr 17 at 16:45 PM

Report: Gainsborough 1-1 Harriers

ANDRE BROWN netted off the bench once again as Harriers were able to take a point from a stubborn and dogged Gainsborough Trinity in a 1-1 draw.

Harriers were once again represented well in Lincolnshire with a strong travelling contingent.

As they bathed in sunshine, their team made the better of the two starts and went close with a dozen minutes on the clock when Elton Ngwatala fired an effort wide on the angle after being teed up by Joe Ironside.

James McQuilkin also had a sniff of goal early on as he struck low at goalkeeper Tom Nicholson who almost spilled the ball into his own net.

Despite the start it would be the home side, battling relegation, who struck first with their maiden attack into the Harriers half with 20 gone, a strong run and simple pass through to striker Nathan Jarman who coolly rolled it beyond the dive of Sam Hornby and into the bottom corner of the net.

The goal allowed Trinity to establish a foothold on the game and it wasn’t one they looked in a mood to surrender as they controlled much of what remained of the half – almost grabbing a second goal as Jordan Thewlis released an excellent attempt that lofted high over Hornby before bouncing off his bar.

Harriers needed to grab a chance from somewhere before the break and, in the dying seconds of the half, they got one as Ty Williams saw a snap-shot well  blocked after he’d been played in by Tunnicliffe at a corner.

Boss John Eustace made a change at the break and threw on Andre Brown, and the former Crewe man wasted no time in making an impact, putting Harriers level inside five minutes of his introduction after he followed a ball into the area; catching the home defence sleeping before nutmegging Nicholson and finding the net.

Harriers then had the pressure on and went close again through Tunnicliffe, before McGovern did so for Trinity up at the other end as we drifted past the hour.

Things then became tight as an already strong home defence looked to solidify even further in fear of any further breaches, though Gnahoua did go close inside the final 15 minutes as he pulled a shot wide of Nicholson.

Hornby had been a virtual bystander for much of the game but inside the last ten minutes he showed his reactions with a swift parry to keep out a stinging effort from Chib Chilaka, before Gnahoua again went on the hunt for goals, seeing a shot after a surging run well blocked.

Four minutes of added time came and went, leaving both teams with a share of the spoils and the home side far happier with their lot as Harriers focus on next weekend’s final home league game of the regular season.

    Latest Match Reports